[OS X TeX] BibTeX, BibDesk, EndNote

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Jan 31 15:23:25 EST 2005

On 31.01.2005, at 21:10, Holger Frauenrath wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2005, at 20:11, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>> This error has nothing to do with BibDesk. BibTeX has a limit of the 
>> size of the fields it can handle. Often this is simply a problem of 
>> Mac vs Unix linebreaks. Check out if you have Mac line breaks in your 
>> .bib file. Removing them may help you. If this doesn't do the trick 
>> and your entry is really too big, there's little you can do, I have 
>> bibtex fields which are too long for bibtex to handle. I was looking 
>> for a bibtex version with bigger buffers some time, but was 
>> unsuccesful then…
> Well, I have checked line endings with BBEdit: they are UNIX (just to 
> be sure, I saved it with UNIX line breaks). I also played around with 
> the encoding. It does not make a difference for the reult.
> It would be really sad if this little bibliography was too much too 
> handle for BibTeX because this would mean I would have to stop using 
> LaTeX for my research proposals altogether ... I must say I have a 
> hard time to belive this, though.
> There is two things I would like to know:
> I somehow seem to remember that I ran into the same problem a long 
> time ago, when I still used OzTeX on MacOS 9. It seems to me like 
> there was some way to change some parameter that fixed this. Sorry for 
> being so vague. Does anybody know about this?
> One problem that *could* in fact make the bibliography files larger 
> than they need to be (for the purpose of including them in LaTeX) is 
> that Endnote exported all fields, including the somewhat lengthy 
> abstracts etc. Is there a way to save/export a file in Bibdesk with 
> certain fields only? I will change the Endnote export as well, but it 
> would still be useful for me to know this for future use.

I don't know if this helps you but when I ran into problems with bibtex 
it was always due to too long abstracts and annotations. I actually 
filed a bug for this some time ago: If the lengthy field is at the end 
of the entry, bibtex simply skips it because it doesn't need them 
anyway (at least in the styles I use). So I filed a bug that BibDesk 
should write potential big fields at the end of each entry, but this 
hasn't happened yet


Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97
8038 Zürich

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39


--------------------- Info ---------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
           & FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

More information about the MacOSX-TeX mailing list