[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.3.1 and Nisus (LinkBack)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 23 15:20:21 EDT 2005

On 23 Jul 2005, at 17:25, Pierre Chatelier wrote:

> It seems that you reached the edge of the two technologies... When
> drag'n dropping, LinkBack works, but the baseline has no meaning,
> since a PDF is dropped, without any contextual info from the
> *destination*.

I think this discussion is more at home on the MacTeXToolbox list:
afaik, you can export multiple formats at the same time: you can just
place RTF, PDF and Linkback data on the same pasteboard. Since drag
and drop uses the same mechanism, I don't really see what the missing
destination has to do with this: granted, you can't obtain a handle
to the exact font-size, but with drag and drop this will be the
responsibility of the user anyway.

I think the program can be much simpler and more robust, if the
various export possiblities use teh same mechanism as much as
possible. At least for the service and the drag-n-drop (which both go
over the pasteboard), the same behaviour should be observed.

> However, when you use the service, some info is sent to LaTeXiT
> (context color, font size, current baseline), so that what is
> pasted is not a mere PDF but RTF data, in which the baseline can be
> embedded. The difference is that when you use the service, since
> you are transforming text, you are assured that you can paste text
> in return. With a baseline.

You could drag RTF, instead of plain PDF. In fact you always should
offer both on the pasteboard.

> And it seems that Linkback is not taken in account by the way
> application service works. Technically, I would say it is normal
> (but perhaps I am wrong).

Have you asked the nice guys at Nisus? I'd think it should work,
regardless of how the Linkback pasteboard enters the application
(i.e. through drag-n-drop, copy-n-paste or a service: they all use
the NSPasteBoard classes).

> But I have a proposal. I may add a new export type ! So far, there
> is PDF, EPS, TIFF, JPEG and PNG. I may add RTF, so that what is
> exported can embed a baseline. It is not so handy, but you can see
> it as a workaround.
>
> Any thoughts ?

Ask Nisus what you should expect, move this discussion over to
MacTeXToolbox (which was created to support such discussions), and
consolidate all pasteboard paths within LaTeXiT (they may already use
the same code, but just offer it all).

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>