[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.3.1 and Nisus (LinkBack)

Pierre Chatelier pierre.chatelier at club-internet.fr
Tue Jul 26 05:59:56 EDT 2005

Hello,

I did not move this thread to MacOS Tex Toolbox mailing list, because
I now need some users opinion, about a problem, regardless of
technical details, even if there will be a few.
But first of all, here is an updated version of LaTeXiT 1.3.1 beta :

http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/fichiers/LaTeXiT-1_3_1.dmg
http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/fichiers/LaTeXiT-panther-1_3_1.dmg
http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/fichiers/LaTeXiT-source-1_3_1.dmg

What's new ?
  -you can load/save libraries by drag'n drop or double-click, and
they now have a particular icon.
  -you can show/hide the preamble using the "Latex" menu. Useful for
people that do not read the doc ;-)
  -if the service fails, you will be prompted by an alert panel.
read below to see the limitation)

>>> I've been playing with LaTeXiT 1.3.1 and Nisus Express 2.5b1
>>> using LaTeXit via Services [snip] but I don't get any LinkBack.
[snip]
>> it seems that Linkback is not taken in account by the way
>> application service works.

I have contacted Nisus developers to ask them, and I was wrong :
problem ? The problem is that to tune an equation's baseline,
LaTeXiT's application service does not send back an image, but an
RTFD stream, in which the baseline can be tuned. But it appears that
in text editors, it is very difficult to "extract" the image from the
stream, so that Linkback is there, but "unreachable" in the RTFD
object. But it is the responsibility of the text editor to do that.
NWE guys told me that they will work on that, but it will finally
depend on the text editor.
So what could I do ?
Well, I found a compromise : If you use the feature of automatically
tuning the baseline (it is a checkbox in LaTeXiT's service
preferences), then LinkBack MAY not work (depending on the text
editor). However, if you disable that feature, then the application
service won't send RTFD but a simple image, so that LinkBack SHOULD
work. But you will have to change the baseline yourself.

Any comments/feedbacks about that ? Do you think it is a reasonable
choice ? Would you see another solution (for technical discussion,
you can just post on the Tex ToolBox mailing list) ?

Regards,

Pierre

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>