[OS X TeX] Problem with cocoAspell in Tiger

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 2 04:46:38 EDT 2005

Le 2 juin 05 à 04:02, Rene Borgella a écrit :

> Sorry to hear you are not happy w/Tiger.  I myself haven't
> installed it on my machines as I am waiting for a few of the bugs
> to settle. Nevertheless, I thought I'd offer a suggestion: did you
> upgrade to Tiger or did you do a fresh install?  In my experience
> with previous versions and from what I hear/read of other's
> experiences, many folks with usability problems with their upgrades
> find these solved when they  do a clean install.  Of course this is
> inconvenient and takes time, but before you abandon ship or give up
> on Tiger, you owe yourself the "experiment" of a clean install.

I did actually Archive & Install Tiger for the third time last
Tuesday. After spending half an hour on the phone with an AppleCare
tech guy to try to solve my AirPort issues, and trying several
different things (like trashing the content of /Library/Preferences/
SystemConfiguration/ then restarting), he finally suggested Archive &
Install. That didn't work and I still have the same problem:
PowerBook seeing AirPort networks for a few seconds only after
startup (or not seeing them at all), and then no more. I suspect
faulty AirPort card or antenna, and the PowerBook is due for
AppleCare shipment as soon as the current deadlines are behind me.

> If you decide to do this, one way to make it easier is to make sure
> all of your documents, pictures, bookmarks, etc. are in your Home
> directory.  Back this directory up (more than once), then wipe the
> drive and do a clean install of Tiger.  It is a big help if you use
> the same User name and password for your new install. After you
> have Tiger installed, simply move the contents of your Backed up
> Home to your new Tiger Home.

Having no external hard drive, I haven't yet tried a clean install.
That would also imply reinstalling OS 9 (I still use Classic
applications at times), and could require too much time.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>