[OS X TeX] Threads on MacIntel

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 19:53:03 EDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 16:25, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 10 juin 05 à 18:49, Justin Walker a écrit :
>
>> You will have to check with Apple to be sure, but I believe that
>> anything you get from the (account/password-protected) developer site
>> is automatically under NDA.
>
> You're certainly right. I'm a free online ADC member, and looking
> closely (I never had before) I'm realizing that by joining in I have
> agreed to an ADC Terms and Conditions agreement
> <http://developer.apple.com/membership/pdf/terms.pdf> which includes
[snip]
> I had always thought the registration (login/password) required to
> download Xcode updates and other free software from ADC was very
> similar to the registration required, for example, to download the
> free Real Player, or some free Adobe software. But apparently to Apple
> that means more.

Most companies that let "developers" in will require something in the
way of an NDA.  After all, they are (at least in the case of Apple)
letting you in on pre-release information, and companies generally
aren't happy to have that kind of information floating around at large.

So, it is in no way like the "free registration" for products, where
the company may have an interest in who is using their stuff.

> Similarly I never had the impression any info got that way (ie without
> having Premier or Select membership) could be considered confidential
> or even important. But apparently I was wrong. So much for
> spontaneity!

Lawyers don't know about spontaneity.  They do know about liability and
license agreements :-}.

They will generally agree that you should read what you sign (even if
the signature is implicit, by tearing off the shrink-wrap :-}).

Cheers,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large