[OS X TeX] Threads on MacIntel

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 10 13:30:22 EDT 2005

On 10 Jun 2005, at 8:37 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 10 juin 05 à 17:06, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>

>> However, this isn't really necessary (depending on the overall
>> setup). Consider the output of
>>
>>     $ which tex
>>
>> which, on my machine, responds
>>
>>     /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/tex
>>
>> Note the path. If I were on an Intel Mac, the "powerpc" part would
>> be replaced by "i686" or something. So the binaries would be
>> separate anyway. The two architectures can co-exist in a single
>> filesystem even without universal binaries, by appropriate PATH
>> configuration, etc.
>>

> As far as I understood, the powerpc here in the path (and more
> generally the imbrication of directories) was Gerben's decision,
> not something imposed by TeX or OS X in itself. Or did I
> misunderstand?

It's not imposed by TeX or OS X, but I believe it is based on TeXLive
conventions.

> So what you're saying is that i-Installer (or whichever installer
> is used for gwTeX at the time MacTel Macs are released) should
> detect, at install time, the processor and determine the binaries
> to be installed (ie chooses then between two directories bin/i686-
> apple-darwin-current/ and bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/, both
> included inside the i-Package). Would'nt it be simpler to have
> universal binaries?

Possibly, but what if you have your TeX software installed on a
filesystem that is also shared with Linux/x86, Solaris, Windows,
etc., etc.? This setup was designed with more than just OS X in mind.

>> Those who have been at WWDC this week are, of course, constrained
>> by the usual NDA rules from saying much, but I think I can take
>> the liberty of commenting that I see no reason to be concerned. :)
>
> Do you mean here that the info given to developers at the WWDC is
> covered by the NDA? I thought all that info was public, given the
> WWDC is a public conference, a bit like a showcase; and that the
> NDA applied only to prerelease software (like Tiger, the software
> updates, etc.), got by the developers from the ADC, until the
> software was released officially.

To quote from http://developer.apple.com/wwdc2005 ....
"Note that with the exception of the WWDC 2005 Keynote, all
information presented or provided to you by Apple during WWDC 2005,
including the information on the Attendee Site, is considered
Confidential Information and is subject to the terms and conditions
of your ADC Membership Agreement with Apple."
> So I imagine all the developers who buy a Transition Kit from Apple
> will also have to sign a NDA?

I imagine that all who buy one, being Select or Premier ADC members,
will have already entered into some kind of confidentiality
agreement, and the fine print will say that the Transition Kit is
covered by this. But I haven't looked to see exactly what it says.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>