[OS X TeX] Threads on MacIntel

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Jun 11 07:43:16 EDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 17:37, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> As far as I understood, the powerpc here in the path (and more
> generally the imbrication of directories) was Gerben's decision, not
> something imposed by TeX or OS X in itself. Or did I misunderstand?

It is something that is part of the build environment of TeX
Live/teTeX. See other post.

> So what you're saying is that i-Installer (or whichever installer is
> used for gwTeX at the time MacTel Macs are released) should detect, at
> install time, the processor and determine the binaries to be installed
> (ie chooses then between two directories
> bin/i686-apple-darwin-current/ and bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/,
> both included inside the i-Package). Would'nt it be simpler to have
> universal binaries?

I can do two things:

1. Have an i-Package with fat binaries and offer to strip the
architecture you are not using from the binaries after install. Note
that means that the binary part will be twice as large to download.
2. Have an i-Package with a choice of architectures to install for.
That would limit the download to what you really need but would be more
work for me.

I haven't made up my mind yet.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>