[OS X TeX] LaTeX Books

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jun 24 11:38:23 EDT 2005

Luis Sequeira wrote:

>> Paulo Ferreira wrote:
>>
>>> BUT, there is a box called "The LaTeX Companions, Revised Set" that has
>>> both books plus "The LaTeX Graphics Companion" and "The Latex Web
>>> Companion",
>>> in a total of four LaTeX books.
>>

>> I have "both books" and I do all my graphics in Intaglio, save them as
>> pdf and "include" them. Am I missing something and should I buy "The
>> LaTeX Graphics Companion"?
>>
>> Thanks and regards
>> --schremmer
>

> There is no problem with your workflow. However, some people do prefer
> to deal with some, or most, graphics from within LaTeX, using tools
> like pstricks, xy-pic, metapost. I write lots of graphics for my
> teaching work and use pstricks and related packages for precise
> mathematical drawing (and perfect integration with LaTeX - think fonts
> in graphics labels, for instance).

Yes, I noticed I had to fudge a bit here even to accomodate my very
modest typographical standards. Also, it is not always easy to maintain
consistency over time in dozens of Intaglio files. I can see that,
"within" LaTeX, I would be able to find-replace parts of the code.

> I wouldn't trade that for anything else. I own a copy "The LaTeX
> Graphics Companion", which has a whole chapter on pstricks, but I rely
> mostly on the pstricks manual, which, as a matter of fact, is included
> in Gerben's distribution, so is there already on my (and on your) mac.

Thanks. I will look up the manual—if I can find it.

Regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>