[OS X TeX] Re: Unicode, Greek and special characters (was: BibDesk and Unicode (was: BibTeX problems))

Johan Almqvist johan at almqvist.net
Fri Mar 4 13:11:07 EST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 18:20, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 04.03.2005 um 17:57 schrieb Jason Davies:
>> what is implicated here though..I don't know XeLaTeX (these things are
>> getting harder to type...). will Gerben's setup choke on this or is
>> saving those files at UTF-8 tantamount to switching? (Can I still use
>> TeXShop? etc...)
> Works. + installation of XeTeX i-Package. + xunicode.sty (previous
> utf8accents.sty)

You don't need XeTeX to use "direct" accented characters though! The
"plain" pdflatex and bibtex from i-Packages will do fine if you add
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} to your files - and save them as utf8,
something that BBEdit, TeXShop and - as we have seen - BibDesk do fine.

> Make your XeTeX or XeLaTeX files start like
[...]
> %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode

Probably a good idea to have this line anyway - BBEdit seems to store
this information somewhere else, but for TeXShop it's useful...

> Never use constructs like "a or \"i, \AA, ?', \.o, \=e etc! Stay clean
> Unicode.

Why? I write Øyvind, but I still write Ivo\'sevi\'c because that's the
quickest from my keyboard...

-Johan
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>