[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun May 8 10:20:38 EDT 2005

Le 7 mai 05 à 11:33, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On May 6, 2005, at 4:33 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> When installing, ClamXav creates a clamav group and a clamav user,
>> visible under NetInfo Manager and used (according to the doc) for
>> retrieving updates. Is that what you mean?
>
> No, the clamav user is there on my system, even though I've never
> installed clamXav.

Then I imagine you've got Tiger Server, which includes clamav <http://
www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/mailservices.html>. About it,
the clamav FAQ <http://www.clamav.net/faq.html> says:

1. How do I remove the clamav account from my MacOSX server 10.4
(Tiger)?

The clamav user was set up by Apple and we don't know anything about it.

2. What is the password for the clamav user on MacOSX server 10.4
(Tiger)?

The clamav user was set up by Apple who has not told us the password
they use, please contact Apple support for help. You may find that
sudo password clamav in a terminal session helps to change the
password, however we cannot support the option.

What I'm wondering now is whether clamXav (the OS X port of clamav)
can be made, on Tiger Client, to automatically scan incoming mails in
Mail.app (without having to fiddle with Tiger, that is). In my case,
installing clamav at the mail server level (IMAP, POP and SMTP) isn't
an option, as the mail server (a Debian linux box) is run by my lab's
sysadmin, but I can suggest it to him. But then it's also possible
clamav is already installed on another server one or two levels
higher up in the university server hierarchy.

HTH,

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>