[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 17 08:42:27 EDT 2005

Le 16 mai 05 à 21:12, Pierre Chatelier a écrit :

> -About the baseline problem : I disagree to call it a problem. It
> is just up to the user to align the *image* he has generated with
> its text. I really do not see which assumptions  could be made
> about the context... But it may just be a less of knowledge of my
> part; in fact I do use some context information for the LaTeXiT
> service : when the text to replace is in RTF format, I get the font
> size to deduce some scaling, so that the PDF image is already at a
> proper size

If you think of LaTeXiT not with respect to TeX, but as an equation
editor to be used in conjunction with standard word processing
software (MS Office, OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, iWork, etc.), then the
baseline correction is indeed crucial: it is a prerequisite for
including short formulas inline with text, with the same baseline for
the text and the equations irrespective of subscripts, of descenders
in the math characters, etc.

For example, there's an OOo macro package called OOoLaTeXEquation
<http://www.fyma.ucl.ac.be/wiki/~piroux/OOo+macro> doing this for
OpenOffice.org. You can see in the provided screenshot how crucial
the baseline correction is, to produce nicely flowing text in the PDF
output.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>