[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT

Pierre Chatelier pierre.chatelier at club-internet.fr
Tue May 17 09:56:35 EDT 2005

Hello

>> -About the baseline problem : I disagree to call it a problem.
<snip>

> If you think of LaTeXiT not with respect to TeX, but as an equation
> editor to be used in conjunction with standard word processing
> software  <snip> then the baseline correction is indeed crucial:
> For example, there's an OOo macro package called OOoLaTeXEquation
> <http://www.fyma.ucl.ac.be/wiki/~piroux/OOo+macro> doing this for
> OpenOffice.org.

Okay, but it's not clear for me who's doing what. In my opinion, the
equation generator (LEE, LaTeXiT...) must produce a PDF with
information attached, so that the context application (OO, Pages...)
will be able to tweak it a little. But the PDF generator does not mind
about future placement, it is totally external to its work.
So the baseline problem is rather a feature of an "importer", that can
either be a macro, a smart Drag'n drop pasteboard or anything else, but
not the PDF generator itself. And so far, I have absolutely no idea
about a way to tell an application : "when I drop there a PDF from
LaTeX, just shift it to the baseline". And such a behaviour has no
reason to be overloadable in any application. No ?

Pierre

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>