[OS X TeX] Crossrefs in BibDesk?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed May 18 10:26:36 EDT 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 07:08, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> On May 18, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>> On May 18, 2005, at 02:41, Stephen Anderson wrote:
>>

>>> I see BibDesk has reached the 1.0RC1 stage, but as far as I can
>>> tell it still doesn't support cross references.  This makes it
>>> unusable for me, because (like many others, I suspect) I have
>>> large bibliography files organized to avoid duplication of
>>> information when several articles are from the same collection.
>>>

>> Just to be clear: BibDesk supports items with the crossref field
>> just fine.  You can add it, edit it, and save it.
>>
> I am simultaneously intrigued and confused. However, for reference,
> this is what the bibdesk help says about crossref:
> "BibDesk Does Not Recognize crossref
>
> BibDesk does not currently take advantage of the BibTeX crossref
> feature for display or searching, but if you use crossrefs, using
> BibDesk will not break them. If you would like to send feedback
> about this, see Getting More Help."
>
> I'm confused then what exactly Bibdesk does with crossrefs

If they're in your file, BibDesk won't break them (say by expanding
them and saving them as expanded, which used to happen with macros).

Suppose item A has title and author fields in common with item B, so
item B is crossref'd to item A (I think this is how it works, but I
don't use the things).  In BibDesk, item B will appear without title
and author, and hence won't be found by a search for its title or
author.

> (or what it should do, for that matter.).

We are confused about that as well :).  I'm curious as to what
advantage (real or perceived) crossrefs have over filling out all
fields of an entry.

--
Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>