[OS X TeX] TeXshop, non european fonts and XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun May 22 06:03:18 EDT 2005

Le 22 mai 05 à 11:22, Roberto Avanzi a écrit :

> (II) After writing defaults write TeXShop UseOldHeadingCommands NO
>      everything worked

Do you really mean

     defaults write TeXShop UseOldHeadingCommands NO

and not

     defaults write TeXShop UseOldHeadingCommands YES

I thought that NO was the default setting, which had the consequence
of breaking backwards-comptability, and that changing the value to
YES ensured this compatibility, hence making the current XeTeX
examples displayed and typeset correctly by TeXShop.

> > This also means that the XeTeX samples should be changed at some
> > point, to reflect TeXShop's new syntax.
>
> I guess supporting both would be incompatible, right?

Personally I think backwards-compatibility is always desirable, and
that it would be better for TeXShop, while still describing the new
syntax in the doc, to provide compatibility with the old syntax by
setting the default value of UseOldHeadingCommands to YES.

Another solution would be to provide, in the distro, an AppleScript
(or any other type of script, provided it's straightforward to
operate -- by double-click or drag-and-drop) to (1) convert files
using the old syntax to files using the new syntax while (2) taking
all necessary steps to ensure that, in the process, the encoding is
properly interpreted upon opening and saving.

But, again, I think something transparent for the user would be
better, and hence that default recognition of the old syntax would
spare some headaches to come.

A second alternative solution: have TeXShop, when opening a file
using the old syntax, (1) detect this syntax and interpret the file
content properly, (2) display a dialog telling an old syntax has been
detected, that conversion is necessary and asking for permission to
do so, (3) in case the answer is yes change the required lines to the
new syntax and finally (4) make sure that when the file will be saved
the proper encoding will be used.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>