[OS X TeX] Re: What to do about missing PK font?

John B.Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Tue Nov 8 18:26:50 EST 2005

In MacOSX-TeX Digest #1548, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>
wrote:

> Am 07.11.2005 um 23:52 schrieb John B. Thoo:
>
>>   Missing PK font: cmex7.745 pk
>>
>> I suspect that the problem is the  \bigl(  and  \bigr)  because those
>> brackets are missing in the view.
>>
>> How do I proceed to obtain and install the appropriate PK font?  Or is
>> there another way to go?
>>

> Oh, that's not easy! I think I haven't had that problem since decades
>
> Well, modern teTeX uses a script mktextfm. This is then reporting
> something like:
>
> 	Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --dpi 657 cmex7
> 	mktexpk: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1+57/600;
> nonstopmode; input cmex7
>
> You see, it invokes another script and this invokes the real programme,
> mf (METAFONT). It all depends on your printer's resolution (300 DPI,
> 400 DPI, 600 DPI, or more or less). And its mode (I use an HP LJ 4
> comparable one).
>

> To step into the present I'd recommend to install some PostScript fonts
> (CM-Super, BaKoMa) and particularly Latin Modern. This last package
> tries to substitute all CM based fonts with a family of OpenType fonts.
> Once you've installed them you can use them in Latex simply via
>
> 	\usepackage{lmodern}
>
> (in TeX probably \input lmodern.sty -- I'm more in LaTeX)
>

> No intention to come into the new millennium?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete

Hi, Pete.  Thanks for your response.

I'm using the CMPS fonts.  I was under the impression that PS fonts
scale, so I wouldn't need particular font sizes.  Is this wrong?

My printer is the GCC Elite 12/1200n and my OzTeX "Local" files contains

%% Printing parameters
load_config = "US Letter"
load_config = "Add Outline Fonts"
config_files = -- "US Letter" "mytex/myconfigs/US Landscape"
ps_folders = $c |
	mytex/mydvips/ |
	"$HOME/Library/Fonts/"
send_ps = "lpr"
printing_resolution = 1200
printing_mode = ljfzzz

%% Uncomment only one of the following to set the default printing
resolution
%% Untick "Use Standard PostScript"
dvips_options = "-PCMPS -D1200 -mode ljfzzz"

Thanks.

---John.