[OS X TeX] pdflatex with dvi-output

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Nov 10 05:12:17 EST 2005

Am 10.11.2005 um 10:40 schrieb Michael Hoppe:

> for a special purpose, i. e., to get microtype and pst-pdf work
> together, I need dvi-output via pdflatex, prefferable from the command
> line.  Have a look at the file fehler.tex:

Your 'Fehler' is that you assume, microstyle and DVI work together.

The microstyle package works by creating expanded or compressed
versions of PostScript fonts (it does not work with TrueType). PdfTeX
has means to use 1 TFM file for a series of these font variations, DVI
output would need a series of TFM files, for each variation one.

I think microstyle is clever enough to find it's useless when there is
no PDF output intended, so it switches itself off. If you force PDF
output in the LaTeX source and force DVI output from the command line,
microstyle might think of a four letter word and do the worst: start to
create variations of PK fonts!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to
live!