Got it! (was: Re: [OS X TeX] TeXniscope and pdfsync)
hydrochlorix at gmx.net
Thu Nov 10 11:04:15 EST 2005
Am 01.11.2005 um 23:12 schrieb Massimiliano Gubinelli:
Again, sorry in answering so late, but like I said, I've been kept busy.
>> But since I'm using pdflatex to directly produce PDF output, it
>> couldn't really, could it?
> Sorry I missed this. I was assuming you were using dvi.
Well, I should have mentioned it, so no need to be sorry :-)
> Does some of the chapters are in files with names with accented
> characters? (this could be a problem).
Nope, all plain ASCII, no spaces either.
> It is very strange that syncronization works only if the hyperref
> package is not loaded.
Tell me about it :-)
> Another thing to try is to include only the current chapter in the
> compilation to see if it is a problem related to the size of the pdf.
First I tried to produce a very large PDF by using the same chapter
over and over and that worked flawlessly. Then I started to comment
out all chapters and adding them again one by one to see where the
glitch started to show up. The glitch persisted with three particular
chapters, all the others worked flawlessly. I then checked what was
different about them, and it turns out to be a rather strange quirk.
In those three chapters I used the alternate hyphen "–" , which you
get by pressing Alt-minus on a German keyboard, in chapter and
section commands. I guess, TeXniscope stumbled over those, when the
hyperref-package produced the table of contents, where of course they
turned up again.
I use the alternate hyphen for a small trick. Let me explain: German
as a language can be weird and problematic at times, as some of you
might know :-)
Specific problems in terms of TeX are that
1) words tend to be pretty long as in "Rheinschiffartskapitänspatent"
2) words are often put together via hyphens as in
3) words contain special characters like ä, ö, ü or ß.
TeX has problems, hyphenating words that contain hyphens _and_
special characters. Luckily the german package has a special command
to help here, namely '"='. Using this, TeX can hyphenate such words,
but readibility suffers. So, that's where my little trick comes in,
in the preamble of my document I define the following:
Then in my thesis I use the alternate hyphen instead of the normal
one but since it basically looks like the normal one, readibility is
greatly improved. But, for some reason, the hyperref package didn't
translate my little trick too well and TeXniscope stumbled over it.
Anyways, thanks for taking the time.
Ciao, Thomas------------------------- Info --------------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
& FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
More information about the MacOSX-TeX