[OS X TeX] tex files and mdimport

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Nov 14 16:55:03 EST 2005

On Monday, November 14, 2005, at 01:17PM, Frank STENGEL <fstengel at mac.com> wrote:

>Le 14 nov. 05 à 20:53, Adam Maxwell a écrit :
>

>> Right, I'd really like to avoid that as well.  I've defined a bogus
>> UTI for my experiment, but you'd probably want to define a UTI in
>> TeXShop, then create a new MDImporter in Xcode for that UTI.  I'll
>> provide the GetMetadataForFile.m implementation, and it can be
>> dropped into a new importer project (each one has a unique ID,
>> generated when you create the project).  If anyone else wants to
>> use it, they follow the same procedure (set up UTI in Info.plist,
>> create importer with unique ID).
>
>The only caveat being that there would be TeXShop's importer and
>iTeXMac's importer and...

You are correct.  The only way to remedy that would be by adopting an common UTI for .tex files, e.g. org.tug.tex, then have each front end declare that they edit that UTI; they could then use the same importer, as far as I understand.  There was some discussion of an official UTI a few months ago, but I don't recall anything being formalized (and I'm not going to use the org.tug domain without permission).

Adam