[OS X TeX] tex files and mdimport

Norm Gall gall at spookyhill.net
Thu Nov 17 16:33:37 EST 2005

On 17-Nov-05, at 12:10 PM, Adam Maxwell wrote:

> On Thursday, November 17, 2005, at 10:25AM, Norm Gall
> <gall at spookyhill.net> wrote:
>

>> On 17-Nov-05, at 9:47 AM, Richard Koch wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm hoping that Adam Maxwell or someone else will take the lead on
>>> this
>>> one and produce an importer that we all endorse.
>>> When that happens (or at least when the project is truly underway)
>>> I'll
>>> happily revise TeXShop to support it. Adam wrote me explaining
>>> what I'd need to do to make TeXShop work with his importer.
>>> I don't want to do that until it is clear that most of the front end
>>> makers support the same importer.
>>>

>> I don't know what Adam said to you, but if the importer has the right
>> info in it, (AFAIK) TeXShop will not have to be modified at all.
>
> It was something I wrote to the list, I think.  TeXShop/iTeXMac/etc
> should declare that they edit whatever UTI the importer imports;
> tug.org.latex would be nice, but if we can tie it to the
> mactextoolbox, that's probably sufficient.  It's just a matter of
> editing the Info.plist for the front ends, then.

That's my understanding as well.

>> All files with a .tex extension will be imported.
>>
>> My LaTeX importer provides this information:
>>
> [...]
>
> Looks like your importer would be fine for this.
>

>> I think that this does the job nicely.
>>
>>> The key goal: one importer for tex.
>>>

>> Agreed. All we need is a stable UTI.
>
> Also, I'd request that you make the importer source available (I
> couldn't find it last I checked); my preference is for drag-and-
> drop install, as well, although I suppose that's debatable.

Not at all. It's a single file; that's what drag-and-drop is all
about. :)

When we sort out the UTI, I'll whip it up.

"No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
ticket in his pocket, or at  least had been fooling around with
timetables."
-- Archie Goodwin