[OS X TeX] Suspicion of TeXShop bug

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Nov 28 10:53:25 EST 2005

On 28 Nov 2005, at 3:24 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Recently I've observed the following several times (including three
> times already today): you're in TeXShop, you modify the input in
> the source window, you press Cmd-T to launch the typesetting of
> this input, the typesetting proceeds, and when it's done you
> realize by looking at the output in the preview window that the
> modified input hasn't been taken into account. Namely, it happens
> as if the input hasn't been saved before launching the typesetting,
> whereas it normally should be. Of course, saving the input manually
> by typing Cmd-S before Cmd-T solves the issue, but you shouldn't
> normally have to do this, I think.
>
> Did anybody else observe the same problem, or is it just me? My
> setup: latest Tiger, TeXShop 2.03, gwTeX with TL2005.

I've experienced this too (with a similar software setup) -- not at
all consistently, but just enough times to find it annoying. Glad to
hear it's not just me!

I don't think this used to happen, but am unsure whether the key
change was upgrading from TeXShop 1.x -> 2 or from Panther -> Tiger.
Can't imagine that the gwTeX setup is a factor.

Have you tried viewing the PDF with Preview at that point, to see
whether the new input really was typeset, and the problem is only
that the TeXShop preview didn't get updated? Or viewing the source on
disk with another program, to see if it was saved? I must confess I
haven't investigated properly at this point, but there are things
that could be checked.

Could it be something subtle in the Cocoa framework, like Save
operations completing asynchronously, so there's a possibility that
the typesetting job starts before the save is completed, and gets the
old version of the input?

JK