[OS X TeX] Suspicion of TeXShop bug

Ernesto Trajano de Lima ernesto.trajano at terra.com.br
Mon Nov 28 20:04:44 EST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Recently I've observed the following several times (including three
> times already today): you're in TeXShop, you modify the input in
> the source window, you press Cmd-T to launch the typesetting of
> this input, the typesetting proceeds, and when it's done you
> realize by looking at the output in the preview window that the
> modified input hasn't been taken into account. Namely, it happens
> as if the input hasn't been saved before launching the typesetting,
> whereas it normally should be. Of course, saving the input manually
> by typing Cmd-S before Cmd-T solves the issue, but you shouldn't
> normally have to do this, I think.
>
> Did anybody else observe the same problem, or is it just me? My
> setup: latest Tiger, TeXShop 2.03, gwTeX with TL2005.

I think I may have spotted the problem. And it may have something to
do with the undo manager (cmd+z) and the save function (cmd+s).
First, let me tell you that I could also reproduce it using TextEdit.
So, I think the bug may be Apple's fault! ;-) Well, the steps to
reproduce it are the following:

1- Open a document with TeXShop.
2- Write something and save the document (cmd+s).
3- Typeset the document. Your changes are visible in the preview window.
4- Now, undo what you wrote (cmd+z). The black dot should appear in
the close button (the red one).
5- Start writing anything. The black dot will disappear and, for the
system, the document has not changed at all.
6- Typeset again. Your changes **won't** be visible in the preview
window.

This is really a serious bug! If, after step 6, you close the
document without saving it, all data you've typed will be lost. The
system thinks the document hasn't changed at all and will close it
without asking you to save it before closing (as one would expect).

There is, however, one gotcha: if you use, on step 5, after writing
something, one of the keyboard's arrow keys *AND* start writing
again, the black dot will reappear in the red button and everything
will be ok (i.e, TeXShop will save the document before typesetting
and you'll see your changes, and, fi you close the document, it will
ask you to save before closing).

My configuration is: iBook G4, Mac OS X 10.4.4, TeXShop version 2
(2.03), TextEdit v. 1.20 (220).

FYI, I'm also posting this bug on Apple's bug reporting system. Hope
they'll fix it ASAP!

P.S: I've added a link to this thread to the bug report (<http://
tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2005-November/018945.html>) and,
of course, gave credit to Bruno Voisin for noticing the bug!

Regards,
Ernesto.
--
Ernesto Trajano de Lima