[OS X TeX] Aquamacs, AucTeX, and preview-latex

mark oilcan markoilcan at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 10:57:16 EST 2005

--- Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 28.11.2005 um 02:05 schrieb Cameron Hooper:
>
> > Spotlight fails to find tex-site.el anywhere on my system.
>
> There were a few lengthy threads about Spotlight not finding TeX
> related material on Tiger. Once you install the complete YACED (with
> AUCTeX and preview-latex too, just to test whether these work at least
> in YACED, I rely on my own installations) with the MDI importer,
> Spotlight would be able to index TeX related material -- if it would
> search inside an application bundle. Herbert Schulz doubts this ...
>
> I am using locate, on Panther. It's 'database' only gets updated once,
> and I don't know anything about the contents of the files, but my
> PowerBook is pretty silent and idle.

Regardless of whether Spotlight will search inside application bundles or not, it
will not show you files it doesn't know how to index. In particular, if a file has a
suffix for which it doesn't have an importer (eg .el files) these will (normally) be
ignored, so tex-site.el won't be found by spotlight no matter where it is. The locate
command is far superior in this respect, but it is turned off by default on 10.4
(more precisely, locate.updatedb is never run, so 'locate' has no database to
search). It should be possible to turn this on on Tiger, but I haven't gotten around
to verifying that.

I'm on 10.3 here at work (10.4 at home) so some of the above information may no
longer be completely accurate (it was accurate last time I checked, but that was some
number of updates ago).

Mark A