[OS X TeX] Aquamacs, AucTeX, and preview-latex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 28 11:26:55 EST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:57 AM, mark oilcan wrote:

> Regardless of whether Spotlight will search inside application
> bundles or not, it
> will not show you files it doesn't know how to index. In
> particular, if a file has a
> suffix for which it doesn't have an importer (eg .el files) these
> will (normally) be
> ignored, so tex-site.el won't be found by spotlight no matter where
> it is. The locate
> command is far superior in this respect, but it is turned off by
> default on 10.4
> (more precisely, locate.updatedb is never run, so 'locate' has no
> database to
> search). It should be possible to turn this on on Tiger, but I
> haven't gotten around
> to verifying that.

True but it would find the file name; if I search for pdftricks.sty
Spotlight does return the file name even though it doesn't index its
contents. By the way I've forced the indexing of /usr/local/teTeX/
(using SpotlightIndexer and its force preference - but you could just do

sudo mdimport -f /usr/local/teTeX

if so inclined) so I can find the location of lots of files using
Spotlight. I can't always go by contents but I do find the files.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)