[OS X TeX] how to produce a wide arc?

Jens Nöckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:36:31 EST 2005

My message just bounced from MacOSTeX, so I'll re-send it to the list
although Frank already gave an answer:

On Nov 30, 2005, at 8:12 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:

> It is easy to produce extensible "accents" in math, such as
> \widehat{ABC} or \widehat{ABCDEFGHIJ} (where the "hat" extends as
> needed to encompass the width of the argument). Similarly for
> \overbrace{}, and so on.
>
> I would like to do something like for representing arcs: something
> like \arc{AB} should put an arc above the letters.
> I can sort of simulate it by putting \frown above the letters, i.e.
>  \newcommand{\arc}[1]{\overset{\frown}{#1}}

Louis,
have you tried the yhmath package and fonts (it has a \wideparen) ?
It's in the TeXLive distribution, or also available separately from
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/fonts

There is also an explanation how to do such an accent yourself in the
document at
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/
-- search for "\overparenthesis"
in that file.