[OS X TeX] centering a resized text field

Ewan Delanoy delanoy at math.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Oct 3 03:22:20 EDT 2005

   Hello all,

 as in my opinion the default LaTeX page setting is a waste of space,
I put the following commands in my preamble :

  \addtolength{\textwidth}{4cm}
  \addtolength{\textheight}{4cm}

  But when I do that two problems arise :

 -the text field is no longer centered inside the page,
and even worse,
-the page numbers do not appear anymore because the
text field overlaps.

   My question are :

  -why do the two commands above produce an unbalanced
output ? I guess there is an equation like :

 \topmargin+\textheight+\footskip= total height of the page

 and when LaTeX is asked to increase \textheight, it seems to decrease
only \footskip instead of modifying evenly both \topmargin and
\footskip.

  - In any case, what is the simplest way to increase the text field's size
and keeping it centered ?

                                                 Ewan