[OS X TeX] centering a resized text field

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 3 04:09:46 EDT 2005

Le 3 oct. 05 à 09:22, Ewan Delanoy a écrit :

> \topmargin+\textheight+\footskip= total height of the page

Not quite:

\topmargin+\headheight+\headsep+\textheight+\footskip=total page height

There's also a default one-inch margin at the top of the page, before
\topmargin.

The LaTeX manual (2nd edition) has a drawing of this (inconvenient)
page design on p. 182.

Personally, to get one-inch margin on all sides of the page (top,
bottom, left, right) without any header, I'm using the following code:

     \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0pt}
     \setlength{\evensidemargin}{\oddsidemargin}
     \setlength{\textwidth}{\paperwidth}
     \addtolength{\textwidth}{-2in}

     \setlength{\topmargin}{0pt}
     %\setlength{\headheight}{0pt}
     %\setlength{\headsep}{0pt}
     \setlength{\textheight}{\paperheight}
     \addtolength{\textheight}{-2in}
     \addtolength{\textheight}{-\headheight}
     \addtolength{\textheight}{-\headsep}
     \addtolength{\textheight}{-\topskip}
     \addtolength{\textheight}{-\footskip}
     \divide\textheight by\baselineskip
     \newcounter{tempcounter}
     \setcounter{tempcounter}{\textheight}
     \setlength{\textheight}{\value{tempcounter}\baselineskip}
     \addtolength{\textheight}{\topskip}

But a better solution seems to be the geometry package. I haven't
tried it myself (lack of time for experimentation), but many people
swear by it.

Bruno Voisin