[OS X TeX] Open Testing of MacTeX Distribution

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Oct 7 06:37:31 EDT 2005

Am 07.10.2005 um 11:59 schrieb Simon Spiegel:

> Any particular reason why you ship this and not CocoASpell which is
> also suited for LaTeX and gets constantly updated? Is Excalibur
> better?

IMO Excalibur offers a few more choices! For example to correct a
private dictionary that by accident learned a misspelled word. How do
you remove it from aspell? With Excalibur you can spell check
multilingual documents -- in one pass. The dictionaries of Excalibur
did not need any format change for years. Aspell has two different
formats (at least) and ispell.el in Emacs rejects the elder ones. (And
for me aspell does not work in Emacs.) And aspell's algorithm for spell
checking is optimized for American English (it's A spell, not
international or general spell checker).

Besides this Rick Zaccone needs to do a bit to make Excalibur work with
UTF-8. When it has to check a region that contains characters from
outside MacRoman and the ISO Latin encodings (this seems to be my
experience), the selection's encoding is changed to MacRoman or such
and you only see some chaos in Excalibur.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Alle reden vom Wetter - die Bahn fährt nicht.