[OS X TeX] Open Testing of MacTeX Distribution

Jan Hegewald j.hegewald at tu-bs.de
Sat Oct 8 07:55:00 EDT 2005

Am 07.10.2005 um 11:59 schrieb Simon Spiegel:

> On 07.10.2005, at 01:47, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've been asked to pass on the following information and a request
>> for folks willing to test the distribution. This MacTeX
>> distribution will be on the TeX Live 2005 DVD.
>>

> A question: I see that you're bundling Excalibur. I don't know this
> app but from a short look at its website it looks this hasn't been
> updated for quite some time. Any particular reason why you ship
> this and not CocoASpell which is also suited for LaTeX and gets
> constantly updated? Is Excalibur better?

Excalibur is a standalone app, one can open .tex documents and spell-
check them, then save the document (spell-checking the clipboard is
also possible). Whereas CocoASpell extends the spell-checking
capabilities of other editors, e.g. allowing you to spell-check as
you type.
In my experience Excalibur is much more robust when spell-checking
LaTeX documents.
As already mentioned, one can enable different dictionaries at the
same time.
Nevertheless I use CocoAspell, because this way I can use the same
dictionary in every editor e.g. iTeXMac and Mail. Theoretically a
text editor can make use of Excalibur via the Word Services suite
(note: this is not what Apple calls Services) but alas, very few
applications support this (I know only BBEdit and Eudora).

Cheers,
--Jan--