[OS X TeX] Help: Hieroglyphs and Font not Found

Yann Ricard yann at virtual-egyptian-museum.org
Mon Oct 10 20:47:24 EDT 2005

Peter !!!!!!

You are my King of Kings. The Bull of His Mother (a title reserved to
the greatest of all Egyptian pharaohs!)
Believe it or not, I had been banging my head on the wall about this
for the past two weeks!

THE PROBLEM
------------------------
As you had surmised, there was indeed another .map file which did not
have the info about the Hiero fonts.

         /sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map

actually, that was an alias (er... symbolic link) to

         /sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map

That was perverse, because I had suspected there could be another
psfonts.map, but when I searched the drive for another TEXT file
named psfonts.map, it turned up nothing. Of course, it didn't. I was
looking for a text file, but it was a link, so it didn't show up...
Drat!

THE DIAGNOSIS
-------------------------
Your method was invaluable. However, I strayed a little:
1) Instead of using eMacs (sorry), I opened /sw/bin/dvipdf with BBEdit.
2) I commented out the last line - which in my copy of dvipdf read:
exec dvips -q -f "$infile" | gs $OPTIONS -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -
sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="$outfile" $OPTIONS -c .setpdfwrite -
3) I copied the line and added the -d 64 options
4) I saved the file (providing my Admin passwd).
5 ) I ran dvips test.dvi
6) BINGO!, I found the reference to the "unknown" map file.

THE CURE
-----------------
1) I opened the .map file that had all the references about my
desired fonts in BBEdit and copied the relevant lines.
2) I opened /sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
in BBEdit and pasted the lines from the other .map file

Note that I completely disregarded the warning that read:
                     %   Don't change this file directly. Edit texmf/
web2c/updmap.cfg
                     %   and run updmap to recreate this file.

Somehow, even though I brute-forced it (it's not just that I am lazy,
it's that I could not figure how to invoke udpmap), it seems to work
beautifully.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

Yann