[OS X TeX] TeXShop doesn't open dvi-files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 20 14:47:06 EDT 2005

On 20 Oct 2005, at 18:34, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> The journals to which I submit papers requires figures in eps format,
> so I am forced to use Ghostscript.

Not entirely. Make sure you have your figures in both pdf and eps
format, and
use \includegraphics without the extension. latex will then figure
things out
for itself, and include what it can. So if you use latex, the eps
file will be
included by dvips, while pdflatex will find and use the pdf version
of each figure.
You can now use pdflatex yourself, and dump the eps on the journal of
choice.

(please remember to test the final version on latex + dvips yourself)

> Now according to your reply, it
> seems that we can change in the above preference option from
> "Ghostscript" to "Apple Distiller"? Is this interpretation correct?
> What's the benefits of doing this?

No additional package to install, the Apple Installer is actually the
Adobe distiller,
and _supposedly_ generates superior quality pdf. It is also a bit
slower in my
experience. It will also include fonts that are available to the GUI,
meaning that
it will find different fonts, and depending on how you generate a
certain figure,
ghostscript may be able to convert a figure that the Apple distiller
can't and vice
versa.

Maarten