[OS X TeX] TeXShop doesn't open dvi-files

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Oct 21 05:44:06 EDT 2005

Le 20 oct. 05 à 20:47, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

>> Now according to your reply, it
>> seems that we can change in the above preference option from
>> "Ghostscript" to "Apple Distiller"? Is this interpretation correct?
>> What's the benefits of doing this?
>
> No additional package to install, the Apple Installer is actually
> the Adobe distiller,
> and _supposedly_ generates superior quality pdf. It is also a bit
> slower in my
> experience. It will also include fonts that are available to the
> GUI, meaning that
> it will find different fonts, and depending on how you generate a
> certain figure,
> ghostscript may be able to convert a figure that the Apple
> distiller can't and vice
> versa.

My experience as well (Apple's distiller pstopdf required for certain
figures, and GhostScript's distiller ps2pdf required for others).

There's another difference too: it seems the GS distiller produces
compressed PDF files, while the Apple distiller produces uncompressed
files (judging by the file sizes). Thus, when pdfTeX or XeTeX
processes a (La)TeX file including PDF figures, the processing will
take much longer time if you used the Apple distiller, because it
will include a compression step (invisible to the user) just before
the final PDF file is produced. (This, because pdfTeX or XeTeX
attempt by default to create compressed PDF output, and will perform
the compression themselves in case the included PDF files are
uncompressed.)

For example, I wrote recently a paper including big PDF figures for a
total of several hundred megabytes (uncompressed). The final PDF
output (compressed) of pdfTeX or XeTeX for the paper was about 80 MB.
If I used the PDF figures produced by the GS distiller, processing
the LaTeX input file took a couple of minutes at most. If I used the
PDF figures produced by the Apple distiller, processing the same
LaTeX input file took between 10 and 20 minutes, because of this
additional compression step; and compression was repeated, moreover,
at each typeset of the paper, whereas with the GS distiller it had
been done once and for good.