[OS X TeX] TeXShop doesn't open dvi-files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 21 16:18:07 EDT 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, at 11:44, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> There's another difference too: it seems the GS distiller produces
> compressed PDF files, while the Apple distiller produces
> uncompressed files (judging by the file sizes).

pdftk can be used to compress these files after the fact. Let me give
an example. I commonly create figures in metapost, and some are too
large for mptopdf. Yes, that is large - the output of mpost is 9 MB
large, the input is about 5 MB (generated by a script, mostly).

Since I cannot use mptopdf (and hence no direct inclusion in pdftex),
I have to translate the mps file to pdf elsewhere. This can be done
with dvips, but I opted to use pstopdf - the figure uses Lucida, and
pstopdf could find those, gs couldn't. The output of pstopdf is 6 MB,
not exactly small. pdftk turns that into a 1 MB file. Yes, the
difference in speed is significant.

Maarten