[OS X TeX] latex + mySQL

Christian Heine christian at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 20:02:42 EDT 2005

Hi Ingo,

> But nevertheless I like the idea of having my data stored in a
> mySQL database and to be able to retrieve it from within a latex
> file. So my question is: Is there any alternative? (I already had a
> look at the KOMA-Script, but it doesn't seem to be flexible enough.)

An alternative could be to use Python and Cheetah (http://
www.cheetahtemplates.org) in combination with LaTeX and a database.
Although I haven't used it with MySQL and TeX yet (currently using
PostgreSQL/GIS and HTML/XML) it is a very powerful and flexible way
of getting data out of a SQL database and using a template document
to spit out formatted documents. With using Python you, of course,
add another, maybe unwanted level of complexity. But it should be
fairly easy to extract the data, write the template and typeset it
from within a small python script.

Stephan Hochhaus mentioned texdbi (http://freshmeat.net/projects/
texdbi/) in an earlier thread of mine ("Postgres->Python->LaTeX"
29/06/2005) - may be this is of help for you as well.

HTH. Cheers from Sydney,
Christian

--
Christian Heine
Ph.D. candidate

         USIMS       |    University of Sydney
                     |    Institute of Marine Science
                     |    Sydney, Australia

P +61 2 9351 4257   •   F +61 2 9351 0184
W www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/users/christian/