[OS X TeX] Prevent Acrobat Reader From Opening Files?

Tom Koornwinder thk at science.uva.nl
Sat Oct 29 04:02:13 EDT 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I am annoyed by the fact that Acrobat Reader(AR) tries to open some
> PDFs. I already UNchecked the option "Display the PDF in browser using
> Acrobat Reader" in the Preferences of Acrobat Reader's. But apparently
> AR has a its own mind and RE-check that option itself. This has
> happens several times.
>
> A while ago, BibDesk got crashed exactly due to AR ...
>
> Does anyone know a way to prevent AR from opening PDFs? I still want
> to keep the program in my laptop. However, if it's impossible to make
> it behave, maybe to delete completely is the only way to go -- in this
> case, how do I remove AR completely?

You may also completely disable native support for display of PDF
documents in Safari with the help of the freeware application TinkerTools,
which can be downloaded from http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

Actually, I was forced to disable this, because I regularly download
pdf files from the arXiv.org e-Print archive (http://arxiv.org).
ArXiv disencourages a plug-in for reading pdf within the browser,
and actually it has punished me by refusing me for downloading during one
week.

		Tom Koornwinder