[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

V. Yu. Shavrukov vshavruk at science.uva.nl
Sun Apr 2 10:06:07 EDT 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 09:03, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 31 mars 06 à 07:41, V.Yu.Shavrukov a écrit :
>
>> I've looked into Quartz Filtres in ColorSync Utility.  The only
>> documentation I found was ColorSync help and "Color Management on
>> Tiger Techology Overview".  Both are somewhat cryptic on filtre
>> composition.  As a result I may not be fully appreciating the
>> difference between appointing a default profile and assigning a
>> profile, nor do I have any understanding of the correct order to
>> apply filtering steps.  Do you know if one can find a more
>> detailed coverage somewhere?
>
> A very useful introduction to ColorSync and Quartz filters IMHO,
> though probably not of the technical depth you're looking for, was
> provided on pp. 312--317 in ch. 9 of "Mac OS X Panther in a
> Nutshell". Unfortunately it was part of the stuff, intermediate
> between OS X basics and Unix-geek stuff, that was removed in "Mac
> OS X Tiger in a Nutshell", apparently for no reason --- or was it
> to prevent overlap with other O'Reilly titles on OS X?

Drat, I've got the Jaguar edition of that.  Not much on ColorSync there.

> In any case, such removal makes "Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell"
> pretty useless IMHO,

You mean you specifically bought that book for ColorSync information?

> and a waste of 50 € or so in my case --- should have ordered the
> LaTeX Companion 2nd Edition instead.

I would have thought Companion2 would beat "10.4 in NS" even if the
latter did say something about quartz filtres.

More digging unearthed

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2035.html

and pp.284--287 in A.Rodney's "Color Management for Digital
Photographers".  Both sources stop just short of going into filtre
composition---the TechNote was prepared for 10.2 or 10.3 and only
superficially revised for 10.4 while the book says "...the
capabilities and what we are told the utility is doing changes,
sometimes in quite non-subtle ways each time Apple updates Mac OS X",
apparently by way of excuse for not saying more.

Anyway, it looks like what I would need is the "Assign a profile"
filtering step.  I am inclined to believe that assigning Generic RGB
profile would accomplish what William Adams suggested.  However, that
profile is designated by ColorSync Utility as a "display profile"
which makes me wonder if "most" printing devices would consider it
worthy of attention.

regards,