[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Apr 2 10:36:28 EDT 2006

Le 2 avr. 06 à 16:06, V. Yu. Shavrukov a écrit :

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 09:03, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> In any case, such removal makes "Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell"
>> pretty useless IMHO,
>
> You mean you specifically bought that book for ColorSync information?

No, sorry. I stumbled on "Mac OS X Panther in a Nutshell" by
accident, when browsing books in a bookshop, and found it ideal: it
was a best-of-both-worlds situation, starting from the OS X basics
and taking the reader all the way long to the UNIX underpinnings of
OS X, ending up with a summary of man pages of the Unix utilities. It
contained all sorts of interesting information of elaborate OS X
functions that most readers are unaware of.

For example, at the time in my department us Mac OS users were
suggested by our system administrator to stop connecting to the
network printers by AppleTalk, and to use our departmental CUPS
server instead (so that the sysadmin could monitor the logs). Alas,
attempting to define a printer from that server in OS X failed. It is
"OS X Panther in a Nutshell" which provided the solution: in Printer
Setup, after selecting the Add Printer item, press the Alt key before
clicking on the More Printers button; then the popup menu that
follows ends up with a supplementary Advanced item yielding access
to, among others, IPP via HTTP and allowing to enter the printer URL
on the server (of the form http://[server IP]:631/printers/HP4050).

It was that sort of advanced information, on the hidden layers of OS
X, which made the Nutshell book priceless. It's all gone in the Tiger
version. Sadly!

That said, regarding the CUPS issue I've now a simpler remedy: edit /
etc/cups/cupsd.conf to add the line (without the brackets):

BrowsePoll [server IP]:631

In this way, all the printers declared by the CUPS server will be
seen automatically by your Mac. And you won't have to select the PPD
manually: the one declared by the server for the printer will be
used. Only warning: in case you have several Location configurations
(containing your network settings), after switching to the one
allowing the CUPS server to be seen, you must relog (or restart, I'm
not sure).

Bruno Voisin