[OS X TeX] Unknown graphics extension: ps and latex209 files

Claudio Chagas claudchagas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:14:13 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm a novice in LaTeX, and the more I learn the more I like it. There are
still some hurdles to overcome though. I have a basic installation of TeX on
my Mac and I believe I've got all the necessary packages, including
Graphicx.

On trying to compile the file below I first got an error message: !LaTeX
Error: Unknown graphics extension: ps

============ Original source text code =============
\documentstyle[graphicx,12pt]{jennymanletter} %need docstyle, latex209
\frenchspacing
\oddsidemargin0.5cm
\evensidemargin-0.6cm
\textwidth14.5cm
\textheight21cm
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{5}
\parskip1.5ex plus0.5ex minus0.5ex
\parindent0em
\telephone{51}
\node{hep.man.ac.uk}
\userid{jenny}
%\addpackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}
\signature{Jenny Williams}
\begin{letter}{addressto}

\opening{Dear}

\closing{Regards,}

\end{letter}

\end{document}

============

On a second attempt to typeset the file, and clicking with the cursor inside
the console window, TexShop skips error message and produces the PDF without
the ps image. It also displayed this message below, which gives a warning
that the file in question is probably very very old and needs to be updated.
I got that type of !LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: ps, with LaTeX
not being able to include the image onto the document. I wonder if that's
related to the document class only or if I'm missing any package in my TeX
installation.

Any help on what I should do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

======

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
 \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./jennylett.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, d
utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/latex209.def

          Entering LaTeX 2.09 COMPATIBILITY MODE
    !!WARNING!!    !!WARNING!!    !!WARNING!!    !!WARNING!!

 This mode attempts to provide an emulation of the LaTeX 2.09
 author environment so that OLD documents can be successfully
 processed. It should NOT be used for NEW documents!

 New documents should use Standard LaTeX conventions and start
 with the \documentclass command.

 Compatibility mode is UNLIKELY TO WORK with LaTeX 2.09 style
 files that change any internal macros, especially not with
 those that change the FONT SELECTION or OUTPUT ROUTINES.

 Therefore such style files MUST BE UPDATED to use
          Current Standard LaTeX: LaTeX2e.
 If you suspect that you may be using such a style file, which
 is probably very, very old by now, then you should attempt to
 get it updated by sending a copy of this error message to the
 author of that file.

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/tracefnt.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/latexsym.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/latex209.cfg)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/tools/rawfonts.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/tools/somedefs.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/ulasy.fd)))
(./jennymanletter.sty
Document Style `jennyletter' <4 September 95>.
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.cfg)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/pdftex.def)))

</usr/local/t
eTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy8.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/sh
are
/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr8.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.t
ete
x/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts
/ty
pe1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
Output written on jennylett.pdf (1 page, 31582 bytes).
Transcript written on jennylett.log.
(45.52458pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 21--21
| $[]$
[1See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.19 \opening{Dear}

?