[OS X TeX] meaning of Warning

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 25 16:28:19 EDT 2006

Hi Alex,

On 26/04/2006, at 5:40 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:

> Could somebody explain me what the following warnings are supposed
> to mean?
>

> LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
> (Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on
> input line 21.
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
> (Font)              `operators' in the math version `bold' on input
> line 21.

These mean that you have been playing around with fonts for your
document,
at least for mathematical symbols, and haven't done it quite right.

Do you see anything wrong in the final PDF. Examine where bold
mathematical
symbols are used. Does anything look wrong ?
e.g. the symbols themselves (wrong font?) or the spacing around them,
or the position of superscripts or subscripts?

It may be that there is no visible effect, this time.

To tell you how to "do it right" we would need to see what your
preamble looks like, where you are declaring fonts for use
in Mathematics.

A curiosity is "why is the default encoding 'U'"?
Are you using XeTeX ?

> Thank you in advance,
> Alex

Hope this helps,