[OS X TeX] meaning of Warning

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Apr 25 18:04:33 EDT 2006

Hi Ross,
thank you for the quick answer.

On 25.04.2006, at 15:28, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On 26/04/2006, at 5:40 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>> Could somebody explain me what the following warnings are supposed
>> to mean?
>>

>> LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
>> (Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on
>> input line 21.
>>
>> LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `U' for symbol font
>> (Font)              `operators' in the math version `bold' on
>> input line 21.
>>

> These mean that you have been playing around with fonts for your
> document,
> at least for mathematical symbols, and haven't done it quite right.
>
> Do you see anything wrong in the final PDF. Examine where bold
> mathematical
> symbols are used. Does anything look wrong ?
> e.g. the symbols themselves (wrong font?) or the spacing around them,
> or the position of superscripts or subscripts?
>
> It may be that there is no visible effect, this time.

No visible effect. The pdf looks fine.

> To tell you how to "do it right" we would need to see what your
> preamble looks like, where you are declaring fonts for use
> in Mathematics.

This is my preamble:

\documentclass[12pt, oneside]{article}
\pagestyle{plain}
\usepackage{setspace}
\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
\usepackage[left=30mm,top=25mm,bottom=2cm,right=30mm]{geometry}
\usepackage[marginal]{footmisc}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\newfontinstance\fonta{Gentium}
%\newcommand\basetext{\fonta\fontsize{12}{14}\selectfont}
\usepackage{sectsty}
\usepackage[sort&compress]{natbib}
\bibpunct{(}{)}{,}{a}{:}{,}
\bibliographystyle{plainnat}
\citestyle{}

the lines from "\usepackage{fontspec}" to "%\newcommand\basetext
{\fonta\fontsize{12}{14}\selectfont}" have been suggested to me from
the mailing list (therefore I am not even sure what they do). I do
not intend to include any Mathematics in my document. I do want,
however, to include Gentium fonts since I need a unicode font (works
fine in the output).

> A curiosity is "why is the default encoding 'U'"?
> Are you using XeTeX ?

I use XeTex, that´s correct. Besides, is there an easy way to
understand what the warnings refer to? In other words: when the
warning refers to "line xy" is there another way than starting to
count the lines in the output in order to understand where the
problem could be found in the pdf (I am using TexShop)?