[OS X TeX] producing a commentary in TeX of an existing PDF document (various particular items)

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sat Apr 29 02:32:10 EDT 2006

Hi,

On 29.04.2006, at 00:27, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>> I asked a little while ago about this topic and was pointed
>> towards using the class memoir. However, it turns out that that
>> will not work in practice so I've decided instead to use the
>> original document in the following way:
>>
>> 1) create individual pdfs of each page of the original document
>> 2) include them as graphics as the right hand page (ie alternating)
>> 3) add my commentary on the left.
>
> I use the following approach when I am getting pdf document for
> reviewing (since Acrobat
> notes are clearly unable to handle math). Using eso-pic package to
> include document
> \begin{minipage}{0.35\paperwidth}
> \color{red}
> \title{My remarks}
>
> \maketitle
> Neumann Laplacian is a very special animal, deeply different in the
> irregular domains from  Dirichlet Laplacian and this must be explained
> in details.
>
> \bigskip
>
> great paper but.
>
> \bigskip
> I suggest to ....
>
> \bigskip\bigskip
> Not clear what ``less stringent estimate'' means.
>
> \smallskip
> real BS
>
> \end{minipage}
>
> \AddToShipoutPicture*{ \put(200,0){%
>   \parbox[b][\paperheight]{\paperwidth}{%
>     \vfill
>     \centering
>    {\includegraphics[width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,page=5,%
>                      keepaspectratio]{ThatGuyDoc.pdf}}%
>     \vfill
> }}}

below is a quick implementation automating this task a little bit;
actually, using LaTeX for such a task seems like a very practicable
approach (which never occurred to me), so I might improve this
functionality and package this into a style file one day...

Hope it helps,

	Bernhard

%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}

\newcounter{curpage}
\setcounter{curpage}{1}
\newcommand{\nextpage}{%
\includepdf[pages= \thecurpage]{\commentedDocument}
\addtocounter{curpage}{1}
\clearpage
}

% add the external document's name here:
\newcommand{\commentedDocument}{nameOfMyDocToAddCommentsTo.pdf}

\begin{document}

\section{Comments to a document}

Here I start my comments. \verb+curpage+ has now the value \thecurpage.

blah blah blah etc.

\nextpage	%ship out the current included page and switch to the next
"comment page"

The first page of the original document should now have been
included; here are the comments regarding the seccond page.

\nextpage

Unfortunately, when doing it like this, a comment page will be the
last. Improvements are certainly possible…

\end{document}

___________________ gpg key ID _ A89F09C45921020D __