[OS X TeX] metapost and mfpic

Franck Pastor pastor at fusl.ac.be
Mon Aug 7 15:27:59 EDT 2006

Le 07-août-06 à 20:14, Bruce Kellogg a écrit :

> I have come to really like metapost and mfpic.
> I use it in the following way: my latex file contains
> the statements
>
>    \usepackage[metapost]{mfpic}
>    \input fig
>
> and the file fig.tex contains the statment
>
>    \opengraphsfile{filename}
>
> I work with colleagues who are not blessed with macintoshs, :-),
> and who have some tex software on their PCs that
> produces dvi files with little bears in the icons. (I do not remember
> the name of the software.) My question: how can we send a paper
> back and forth so that it includes the picture that I produce
> and so that they can make changes to the equations and words?

Once the pictures are prepared and generated, you may include them as
external pictures, the mfpic code having been previously "commented":

\documentclass{article}
%\usepackage[metapost]{mfpic}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{}%to handle the peculiar .integer
extension of metapost files
%\opengraphsfile{filename}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{filename.1}
\includegraphics{filename.2}
etc., etc.
%\closegraphsfile
\end{document}

Maybe the "\DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{}" is to be replaced by
"\DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{eps}{*}{}" for a tex+dvips processing (I did
not experiment it myself).

Note that it is the usual way metapost figures are incorporated in a
file. Eventually these external picture can be sent along with the
main tex code, to your colleagues.

> A related question: when we submit a paper to a journal, can they
> handle the picture; do they know mfpic?

I don't know. In my case, they only handled the resulting pdf file
(with my mfpic figures inside :-), not the source code.

> Bruce Kellogg

Franck Pastor