[OS X TeX] Assorted unix woes (slightly OT)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Aug 27 16:39:40 EDT 2006

Am 27.08.2006 um 21:21 schrieb Alan Munn:

> 1. Cocoa aspell

The workaround: create an admin user with bash and re-install!

> 2. X11

There are some more problems than you've until now. Would you
consider to test my Make X11 aware of MacTeX.app? It can be found
among the Applications on the Mac TeX site http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-
tex/. Or on Jason Davies' site http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgajpd/. It
probably needs Rosetta, but I can't tell. It's a set of shell scripts
and RTF files wrapped inside a Platypus application, so it looks like
an Aqua application.

> It seems that the installation has not set the paths correctly.
> When I check $PATH I get the following;
>
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/
> bin/i386-apple-darwin-current

Since your login shell is tcsh, you better look for $path! It needs /
usr/X11R6/bin.

> I seem to recall that there should be an X11 path somewhere here
> too. Why didn't this get set when I installed X11?

Because Apple seems to assume that X11 users are the clever ones and
solve the problems Apple leaves!

> Now since there are at least 2 users on this machine, I would like
> to fix these things at the system level, not at the individual user
> account.  It seems that I should edit the init files in /etc (/etc/
> csh.cshrc ) etc.  Is this correct, or do I have to edit each user's
> init files separately.  Also, how do I make sure that the paths are
> set correctly independently of the shell I use?

Yes, that's the right place. Make an update to /etc/profile also! Set
path, PATH, and MANPATH!

> 3. man
>
> For some reason, my MANPATH is set to MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man

Because it's here: /usr/share/man/man1/man.1. The value /usr/share/
man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/teTeX/man is more
reasonable.

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield