[OS X TeX] Help for FontForge needed

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 30 18:11:09 EDT 2006

I fancied to install Small Caps and Oldstyle Figures to match with
Times and MathTime, so I bought the needed font from Linotype.

I have read that the first step is to make .pfb fonts from the files
sent by the vendor. I could install FontForge, which, I was said, can
manage all types of fonts. The first answer by FontForge is "There
are several fonts in this file. Choose anyone." (In French, in fact.)
Easy step. But after that, there is nowhere any mention of a
conversion to .pfb. Only BDF, which is, I guess a kind af bitmat
format. What should I do now ?

Neither Bruno Voisin, nor Philip Lehman or Matthew Amster-Burton, or
the University of Cambridge Engineering Department explain how to
convert vendor fonts to pfa/pfb with FontForge. Only Bruno does it a
little, the others suppose that the problem has already been solved.

Maybe I should try ttf2pt1 from http://ttf2pt1.sourceforge.net/

But the main problem is that I do not know if the fonts I have bought
are ttf. Maybe there are already Adobe Type 1, .pfa or .pfb, but
included in a larger file (I choose Ps-Mac format).

Can somebody help me ?

Silly question: What should be the Karl Berry name for "Times Roman
SC", "Times Roman OsF" or "TimesTen Roman SC" ?

Other question: I could read all the files in fontname directory (as
Linotype.map, etc.), but TeXShop could not open fontname.dvi. Is that
normal?

André Bellaïche