[OS X TeX] Help for FontForge needed

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Aug 30 19:22:57 EDT 2006

Am 31.08.2006 um 00:11 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> I have read that the first step is to make .pfb fonts from the
> files sent by the vendor. I could install FontForge, which, I was
> said, can manage all types of fonts. The first answer by FontForge
> is "There are several fonts in this file. Choose anyone." (In
> French, in fact.) Easy step. But after that, there is nowhere any
> mention of a conversion to .pfb. Only BDF, which is, I guess a kind
> af bitmat format. What should I do now ?

The manual should describe such things. It's big enough.

> But the main problem is that I do not know if the fonts I have
> bought are ttf. Maybe there are already Adobe Type 1, .pfa or .pfb,
> but included in a larger file (I choose Ps-Mac format).

/Applications/FontBook.app (in Finder you'll see only a French name)
can tell. It works by selecting the font files and double clicking
them. Then, in Fontbook, after installation, you can inspect the font
with ⌘-i. I think Linotype FontExplorer X can change before
installing.

> Silly question: What should be the Karl Berry name for "Times Roman
> SC", "Times Roman OsF" or "TimesTen Roman SC" ?

Philipp Lehman explains the rules to build KB names for ptm: ptmrc8
and ptmrj8. For TimesTen you can find your own name, I presume. Has
it some particular encoding or shape?

> Other question: I could read all the files in fontname directory
> (as Linotype.map, etc.), but TeXShop could not open fontname.dvi.
> Is that normal?

No. Or you make a faulty description. TeXShop (actually it's dvipdfm)
would not convert the DVI file to PDF without having a MAP file that
maps your new PS TeX fonts to font file names and encodings.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,