[OS X TeX] Displaying a LaTeX beamer presentation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Dec 6 11:52:05 EST 2006

Since the change from DarwinPorts <http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
 > to MacPorts <http://www.macports.org/> the available information
has changed:

- The installation procedure is documented in a Wiki <http://
trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki>, at <http://
trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts>. You
need to install a binary snapshot of the distribution (currently, for
Tiger, <http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/downloads/
DarwinPorts-1.3.1/DarwinPorts-1.3.1-10.4.dmg>), then update it from
the command line.

- The ports (here xpdf) need to be compiled locally, as described at
<http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
UsingMacPortsQuickStart>. For DarwinPorts there used to be a
directory of all the packages <http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
ports/>, for MacPorts I can't locate it.

There is also the GUI MacPorts manager PortAuthority <http://
www.codebykevin.com/portauthority.html>, shareware. There used to be
a free X11 version and a shareware Aqua version, now the X11 version
seems to be gone.

That said, one of the reasons I had favored DarwinPorts over Fink so
far was that DarwinPorts added its paths /opt/local/bin and /opt/
local/sbin *after* the OS X ones /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
in $PATH, while Fink adds its paths /sw/bin and /sw/sbin *before* the
OS X ones. Now this distinction is gone, and MacPorts adds its paths
*before* the OS X ones, too. Which makes it a no-go for me.

Bruno Voisin