[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX]

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Mon Dec 11 20:11:10 EST 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

>> I always took exception with the logic of this pop argument --not
>> with the principle of top posting itself, but with the specific
>> argument that is used to justify it: if the human brain can resolve
>> the inverted A/Q puzzle so easily, the "unnatural" flow of
>> conversation (from A to Q) is no impediment to communication.
>
> I suspect that it is actually a test: if the poster cannot learn not
> to top-post then probably the reader who can read the unnatural flow
> should not bother to read since he/she is probably more smarter than
> the poster :-).
>
> More seriously, question proceeds the answer. Sure one can read in any
> random order but it requires a bit more efforts and time and the
> poster should try to spare the readers time rather than his/her own
> since there are many readers of each post but just one poster.

I have yet to see decisive arguments for bottom-posting. The
following should not be construed as an attempt to provide a decisive
argument in favor of top posting; but it is an argument against
bottom-posting.

If one is following a thread, one might have in mind the preceding
messages in the conversation. In such a case the repetition of the
in a thread --- could conceivably be inefficient for the reader. One
might think of a top-posted message as one that puts the news first
and provides a reminder of the conversation as a sequence of nested
footnotes, as it were. A conscientious top poster might consider
starting his/her post by summarizing the argument so far, or at least
use an introductory topic sentence, and perhaps consider avoiding
indexical references to previous posts (e.g., "this argument" rather
than "the argument that ... ").
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/