[OS X TeX] Re: Worrying about MS (was Keeping this list healthy)

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:55:41 EST 2006

B. Ludvigsen wrote:

>I have used this standard reply for the last 10 years. It is sent
>automatically to anyone I know to be under the age of seventy,
>including the administration of my university

[…]

Here is the iteration I have finally settled on:

NOTICE:

You have sent me a text file in .doc format. This is a proprietary
format wholly owned and solely controlled by the Microsoft corporation
with all this obviously entails. As such, I find it unsuitable as a
format to be used publicly.

It is all the more unacceptable to me as all you needed to do was just
to copy-paste your document into your email as plain text or, should you
have felt that its formatting was essential, to save it as RTF, PDF or
HTML, all non-proprietary formats, before attaching it.

Please do not construe this notice as an unwillingness on my part to
read your message, but, and I apologize if this is an inconvenience to
you, inasmuch as you appear to feel that your message was not important
enough to convey in a socially responsible manner, I am afraid that you
will have to consider it as having remained unread.

Regards to all
--schremmer