[OS X TeX] [Yale] i-installer directories

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Dec 20 11:07:44 EST 2006

Le 20 déc. 06 à 16:15, Michael Williams a écrit :

> This list has become highly dysfunctional and extremely
> unpleasant reading. I remain a subscriber in the hope of hearing news
> about the future of TeX on OS X, and because I find the occasional
> thread about, y'know, TeX on OS X interesting.
>
> Weeding through flamewars and carelessly written, incoherent screeds
> about, e.g., Claus's switcher, vi, and Microsoft Windows (seriously,
> what?!) to get to this useful information is not something I look
> forward to. I must admit to being disappointed by the lack of
> restraint
> and leadership shown by some of the most experienced members of the
> list.

While I agree with a change of atmosphere on this list to some
extent, I think the above mention of "highly dysfunctional" and
"extremely unpleasant" is largely overstatement. I have seen lists
which could have been qualified as such at some point (mostly Mozilla-
related lists), and that involved personal attacks bordering to
racist insults at times. Have a look, also, at some of the Apple
technical fora, and you'll be shocked (at least I was) when seeing
the wording angry customers are sometimes using for complaining.

I may now and then have been responsible for what you report. If so,
I'm sorry. Often nowadays I regret posting something just after
pressing the Send button. As for Gerben, the fact that I often get
angry now just by reading posts here means probably that I should
relax, take it easy on the TeX side, pursue other interests for some
time, and see how it feels afterwards.

In Million Dollar Baby, Morgan Freeman tells a boxer has only that
many fights in him/her, and then that it's over. Possibly I had that
many posts in me TeX-wise, and I've reached that limiting number.
Fortunately Season's Greetings are approaching, and after Xmas and
New Year the perspective should be different.

Bruno Voisin