[OS X TeX] quotation marks

Doris Wagner doris.wagner at mac.com
Sun Dec 24 07:49:17 EST 2006

> 5) In TeX this is easy: type ` and ', and in the end all will be OK.
> The ` is the back-tick (GRAVE ACCENT, U+0060). On my keyboard it is
> the unshifted tilde.

thank you very much..., the unshifted tilde is what I wanted...then I
get with \usepackage{ngerman} the beginning-marks with the combi "+`
and the end-marks with the combi "+'

> T1 encoding has to do with the way the font is organised, not with the
> way you type your text, that is an input encoding.

yes, but T1 or not is relevant: when I type (in a latex-source) \char1
with minimal header (that is:
\documentclass{article}\begin{document}\char1\end{document}), then it
is default OT1 (where \char1 equals large greek delta). When I type the
same with additional \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, then the command \char1
becomes an accent...