[OS X TeX] Elusive (for me) problem with TeX i-Package configure on Intel

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue Feb 21 03:28:38 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:49:04AM +0100, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2006, at 01:11, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
> >Gerben,
> >
> >When I had the problem (the machine is gone now), I was installing
> >a fresh machine -- I didn't move anything over. Why not do the same
> >and see if you experience the problem I saw and Dick saw?
>
> For the main reason taht it is also my intel developer machine and
> using it fresh for testing would take a lot of time. Hence, this is
> for me now the fastest. If it does not work, I'll have to resort to
> using my developer machine as fresh install machine. And there are
> other reasons having to do with what I think are possible reasons
> which would mean I will not be able to reproduce here even if I do a
> fresh install.

Some thoughts:

Is it possible to maintain multiple copies of osx on different
partitions? It is what I do with linux to experiment with other
distros and to make major changes and upgrades reversible.

Can you tell osx NOT to mount certain partitions, e.g. via fstab?
If that were possible, then it would be less of a hassle to use the
same machine for testing and for developing. Another option is
installing on an external drive.

For testing, my favorite solution is virtual machines. I personally
hope that vmware comes through with a version supporting osx both as
host and as guest.

--
Siep Kroonenberg